Caramel apple cinnamon rolls topped with apple cinnamon icing make the perfect breakfast/brunch menu addition or a knock-your-socks-off dessert!
These cinnamon rolls have been a huge source of praise from friends and family recently. I don’t know whether its’ from the perfect taste and texture of the dough or if it’s from the lusciousness of the caramel apple filling. Maybe it’s the tangy sweetness of the apple cinnamon icing? What I do know is that these bad boys are irresistible!
They are an excellent addition to any breakfast or brunch. Or serve them warm with a dollop of whipped cream or even better, a scoop of french vanilla ice cream!
Don’t forget to pin, yum, and share this recipe!
- 5 tbsp milk
- 5 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp bread flour
Sweet Roll Dough
- 3 2/3 c bread flour
- 1/3 c sugar
- 2 pk instant yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 c milk
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 c diced apple
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 c water
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c white sugar
- 3/4 c milk
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3-4 tbsp apple juice concentrate
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a skillet over low heat add milk, water, and flour
- Whisk until smooth and thickened to a mashed potato consistency
- Remove from heat to completely cool
- In a large mixing bowl stir flour, sugar, yeast, and salt and set aside
- In a batter bowl whisk eggs, milk, butter, and cooled dough starter
- Add wet mix to dry mix and knead together using dough hook attachments on a hand or stand mixer until a soft ball is formed
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until a smooth ball
- Place dough into a buttered bowl to rise, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm area until doubled in size; about 30-40 min
- Dice 2-3 gala apples into 1/4 inch pieces; coat apples with lemon juice and set aside
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and add apples
- Sauté apples for 5-6 minutes stirring frequently
- Add cinnamon, salt, and water
- Allow to simmer for 2-3 additional minutes
- When water begins to boil add both sugars and vanilla
- Lower heat and bring to a bubbly boil; stir occasionally
- Once the sugar begins to caramelize (thicken and darken in color), add remaining butter mixing it in well
- Stir caramel apple sauce and slowly add the milk
- Allow the sauce to simmer for a few minute to thicken
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter until smooth with a hand mixer
- Add cinnamon and one cup of powdered sugar and beat until creamed
- Add remaining sugar and beat until soft crumbles form
- Add apple juice concentrate and beat until creamy icing forms
- Add more sugar until consistency is achieved
- Refrigerate until needed
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish with butter. Bring icing to room temp or softened.
- Punch down risen dough and roll it out on to a floured surface. Dust the top with flour and roll into an approx 10" x 16" rectangle.
- Spread the apple filling evenly onto the dough by dividing it into 4 equal parts at each corner. Use a flat spatula to spread the filling into the center; making sure to get close to the edges.
- Roll the dough lengthwise into a log, pinching the seams closed. Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into 16 even pieces.
- Layer the rolls 3-4 to a row and bake for 25 min.
- Remove from the oven and spread icing on the top. Allow to cool for 5 min and devour!