Sweet, salty, crunchy, and oh so addictive dark brown sugar and vanilla caramel popcorn. This is sure to be your new favorite movie night snack!
Caramel popcorn is definitely on my top five snacks list. Crunchy, sweet, and a little bit salty depending on how you make it. It’s the perfect snack food. As much as I love it, I’ve never tried making it at home until recently. It’s sooooo easy!
It only takes a handful of ingredients and a little patience. Most importantly you will need a good saucepan/pot and controlled heat. And by “good” I mean something with a heavy bottom that doesn’t burn easily. I’ve had the displeasure of burned caramel.
I like to use the air popper to avoid excessive kernels. I’ve tried to use the microwave stuff but it was nearly impossible to get rid of the unpopped kernels, so I personally recommend using an air popper. You could kick it old school and pop it on the stove top as well. Whatever you do, just make sure that you check for kernels! Biting into hard kernels is not pleasant, let me tell you.
Make this tonight you guys. Seriously, you will not regret it!
Don’t forget to Pin, Yum, and Rate this Recipe!
- 2/3 c popcorn kernels or 10 cups popped
- 1/2 c salted butter
- 1 c dark brown sugar
- 1/3 c sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Using an air popper, pop kernels and set aside in a large mixing bowl
- Over low heat, place heavy saucepan and add butter, sugar, condensed milk, and salt
- Allow ingredients to melt slightly and begin to stir them together
- Bring to a boil and add vanilla, stirring well
- Set timer for 5 minutes and allow sugars to thicken without stirring
- After 5 minutes add baking soda and stir briskly for 1 minute
- Turn off heat and pour caramel over the popped corn
- Using a large spoon or spatula, toss the popcorn until evenly coated
- Spread evenly onto baking tray(s) and allow to cool for about 1 hour
- Once cooled, break into pieces and enjoy!