A cross between sushi roll and a Vietnamese spring roll, these shrimp tempura spring rolls are a delightful fusion of freshness and crispy battered yum!
One of my daughter’s favorite foods is sushi. She loves California rolls and shrimp tempura rolls. The shrimp tempura rolls mainly for the eel sauce. But whenever she gets a few dollars, if it’s not Starbucks, it’s sushi she spends it all on. Well, being that I’m always looking to experiment and challenge my cook skills, I decided that I would try to replicate the sushi experience within my scope of capabilities.
I can tell you that I’m nowhere near ready to attempt rolling real sushi. I will eventually, but I’m really just getting the hang of folding dumplings and egg rolls. So, what I chose to do was use rice wrappers instead of nori. I also chose to use extra veggies, making it more like a spring roll but with sushi elements.
Making shrimp tempura spring rolls
Essentially, you can put anything you’d like in them. The basic elements of spring rolls are rice noodles and vegetables. I prefer using long grain rice to rice noodles because I always have it in the house. But if you have it and like it better, use rice noodles.
I like layering lettuce first then the rice and whatever veggies I like. The good thing about these it that they can be personalized to taste.
The last thing I add is the tempura shrimp before rolling. Find the recipe for HERE.
We serve them with eel sauce and lime. Yum!
Don’t forget to pin, yum, and rate this recipe!
- 12 rice wrappers
- 24 tempura shrimp cooked
- 3 c cooked jasmine rice
- 12 lettuce bibs
- 4 c red cabbage shredded
- 2 c carrots shredded
- 1 lg cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 c red radish julienned
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 lg avocado sliced
- 1 c cilantro leaves
- lime wedges for serving
- 1/2 c soy sauce
- 1/2 white sugar
- 1/2 c mirin
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Prepare the rice wrapper according to the package. In each prepared rice wrapper add 1 lettuce bib followed by 1/4 c rice, 1/3 c of cabbage, a bit of carrot, and few slices of red peppers, cucumber, avocado, a pinch cilantro leaves. Top each roll with 2 pieces of tempura shrimp.
- Roll them up according to the package and serve with eel sauce and/or sweet chile sauce.
- Mix ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a strong boil. Stir constantly when boiling begins. Remove from heat and allow it to cool. Best served cold but can be eaten right away.