This triple caramelized onion dip is thick and creamy with a little bit of spicy. Made with slowly sautéed sweet onion, shallot, and scallion.
This is no ordinary onion dip. Not only are the onions caramelized, but there are also three types of caramelized onion! Sweet onion, scallion, and shallot to be exact. The scallion adds an herbiness and the shallot is sweet less pungent taste. Each brings a distinct flavor that I think melds together to make one super flavor.
Making Triple Onion Drip
I start by dicing my onion and finely grating the garlic.
I then add them to a hot skillet with a good amount of butter to start.
Caramelizing onions is really a skill in patience. You want to make sure to cook the onions slowly over low heat, adding butter as needed to keep the moisture and a little bit of sugar to aid in the caramelizing process.
The fruit of your labor will be this golden sweet mass of oniony goodness. Whip into the cream cheese and mayo for a thick chip challenging dip.
Don’t forget to pin, yum, and rate this recipe!
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 c mayo
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 lg sweet onion
- 1 lg bunch scallions
- 2 sm shallots
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 1/4 scallion green tops garnish
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the 2 tbsp of butter, the onion, scallions, shallot, and garlic. Season with a pinch of salt and saute the onions until they become translucent about 10 minutes.
- Drop the heat to low and add the worcestershire sauce, sugar, and remaining butter. Coat and continue to cook for another 15 minutes stirring consistently. Once the desire caramelization is achieved, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl add the softened cream cheese, mayo, and sour cream. Blend together with the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, black pepper, and cayenne. Add the cooled onion mixture and mix well. Refrigerate until cold and firm, about 4 hours.
- Garnish with reserved 1/4 cup of sliced scallions. Serve with chips or veggies.
Try this easy French bread bowl!