This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Caramel Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls —soft sweet roll dough stuffed with apple pie filling topped with cinnamon caramel frosting.
These caramel apple pie cinnamon rolls are simply amazing! From the perfect texture of the dough to the lusciousness of the caramel frosting you cannot miss with this recipe. These sweet rolls are really easy to make and perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert.
Caramel apple pie cinnamon rolls Ingredients
Sweet roll dough– This recipe calls for a half recipe for Homemade Sweet Roll Dough. Follow the link for the recipe or use another store-bought yeast dough like crescent roll dough as a substitute.
Apple pie filling- I use canned apple pie filling. You can use any brand that you prefer as long as it’s at least 8 ounces or about 1-2 cups chopped.
Caramel sauce– Again, you may purchase the caramel sauce as a time saver but I recommend trying my Easy Caramel Sauce.
Quick tips for handling fruit pie filled sweet roll dough
Before we get started with making the rolls I wanted to share a few pro tips that I think will help to make all kinds of sweet rolls.
- Use a pastry scraper– The dough and your hands will become slippery from the sauce around the fruit pieces. The pastry scraper will help to lift the dough from the work surface to avoid tearing or overstretching it. Run the pastry scraper underneath the dough and lift it forward in the opposite direction.
- Chill the dough– Filling sweet roll dough with moist or larger pieces of toppings can be difficult to roll. Wetter ingredients plus warmth from your hands will soften the dough. I suggest rolling and chilling the dough after the first rise for at least 30 minutes. You can definitely use the dough right away but for ease of use, chill it first.
- Oil or butter the rolling surface– Don’t add extra flour to the dough. It should be tacky/sticky but still hold together. A little butter on your hands and the kneading/rolling station will make working with the dough easier.
- Roll the dough tightly-This will ensure that the rolls keep their shape during and after baking.
How to make caramel apple cinnamon rolls
Once you’ve made the dough, let it rise in a warm place according to the recipe instructions. Then prepare the apples by chopping them into 1/2 inch pieces if needed.
Roll out the dough into a rectangle then pop it into the fridge for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, spread the softened butter over the dough then sprinkle the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture over the butter. Next, spread an even layer of apple pie filling followed by a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Roll the dough into a log shape by the smallest width. Cut the dough into even slices.
Bake the rolls in a 375 -degree preheated oven for 25-27 minutes.
In the meantime, make the icing by combining butter, cinnamon, caramel sauce, and powdered sugar. Once the rolls have cooled slightly after baking, spread on the caramel icing.
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Caramel Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls
- In a bowl, beat 4 tablespoons of softened butter, cinnamon, and caramel sauce. Beat in the powdered sugar and milk until creamy. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Roll out the sweet roll dough into an 8×16” rectangle and spread 4 tablespoons of butter over the dough. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon then sprinkle evenly over the buttered dough.
- Spread the chopped apple pie filling over the cinnamon sugar; follow by drizzling 2-3 tablespoons of caramel sauce. Tightly roll the dough pinching the seam to close. Using a sharp knife cut even slices of dough. Layer them in a 9×11 baking dish about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch apart. Bake them for 25 -27 minutes.
- Bring the caramel frosting to room temp. Remove the rolls from the oven to cool for 5-10 minutes. Spread the icing while they’re warm and enjoy!