Caramel apple pie cinnamon rolls made with pillowy soft sweet roll dough stuffed with apple pie filling topped with cinnamon caramel frosting.
These caramel apple pie cinnamon rolls are simply amazing! From the perfect texture of the dough to the lusciousness of the caramel frosting you cannot miss with this recipe. I mean caramel + apple pie filling + cinnamon + ultra-soft sweet dough can only equal greatness. Am I right? Well, this recipe is really easy to make and perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert.
Canned Apple Pie Filling
To save on time I used canned apple pie filling. The Lucky Leaf Premium Apple Pie Filling has a down-home flavor that I like. They also have a caramel apple filling I’m itching to try in another recipe so stay tuned. You can use any brand that you prefer as long as it’s at least 15 ounces or about two cups chopped.
Seriously Easy Caramel Sauce
I totally cheated on this one y’all. In the original post, I made the caramel sauce with the apple and used a apple cinnamon frosting. That frosting was truly the bomb but I just needed to make something simpler yet still connected to the recipe. So I grabbed a jar of salted caramel sauce, stirred in cinnamon and powdered sugar to make a ridiculous easy frosting. I even add a little of the caramel in the roll with the apples too.
Fluffy Sweet Roll Dough
My recipe for sweet roll dough produces a nice soft sweet bread. I highly recommend it. Please follow the link below to a detailed tutorial for making this amazing sweet roll dough!
How to Make Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Once you’ve made the dough. Make the icing but combing butter, cinnamon, caramel sauce, and powdered sugar. Set it in the fridge to chill if desired. Next, prepare the apples by chopping them into 1/2 inch pieces if needed.
Roll out the dough into a rectangle then spread the softened butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Then spread an even layer of apple pie filling with a drizzle of extra caramel sauce.
Cut uniform slices of dough. Bake the rolls in a 350 degree preheated oven for 25 minutes. Once the rolls have cooled slightly after cooking, spread on the caramel icing and devour.
Quick Tip(s) for Recipe Success
Before we get started with making the rolls I wanted to share a few tips that I think would be helpful for success.
Chill the dough. Sweet roll dough that is filled with toppings other than cinnamon and sugar is harder to roll. Wetter ingredients plus warmth from your hands will soften the dough. I suggest chilling the dough after the first rise for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best if you have the time. You can definitely use the dough right away but for ease of use, chill it first.
*****This recipe was updated 11/01/2019*****
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 c caramel sauce
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 tbsp milk more if needed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- In a bowl using a hand mixer, beat 4 tablespoons of softened butter, cinnamon, and caramel sauce. Beat in the powdered sugar and milk until creamy. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Roll out the sweet roll dough into a rectangle and spread the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter over the dough. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon then sprinkle evenly over the buttered dough.
- Spread the chopped apple pie filling over the cinnamon sugar; follow by drizzling 2-3 tablespoons of caramel sauce. Tightly roll the dough lengthwise pinching the seam to close. Using a sharp knife cut even slices of dough. Layer them in a 9 x 13 baking dish about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch apart. Bake them for 22-25 minutes.
- Bring the caramel frosting to room temp. Remove the rolls from the oven to cool for 5-10 minutes. Spread the icing while they’re warm and enjoy!