This Low Carb Maple Breakfast Sausage recipe keeps the flavor while ditching the carbs. Delicious maple flavor without the added sugar.
Keep the flavor, ditch the carbs with this sugar-free maple breakfast sausage recipe. The delicious taste of maple syrup without the guilt in this healthified version of a morning classic. This recipe is one of my favorites. I make even when I’m not low carbing. It’s so good.
What you will need to make Low-carb Maple Breakfast Sausage
Parchment or wax paper
A good 80/20 ground pork with a few pieces of bacon to add a little more fat. The extra fat keeps the sausage from being too dry and adds extra flavor. Choose a sugar-free bacon to keep the carbs low. The spices are what make breakfast sausage the greatness that it is. Fennel, thyme, and a touch of cinnamon make these perfectly savory. What gives these breakfast patties their maple sweet taste without added sugar is a combination of maple extract and a sugar substitute.
How to make homemade breakfast sausage
In a spice grinder or mortar, grind together the dry spices and the sugar substitute.
Next, process the bacon into a fine ground. Add the ground pork and pulse to combine.
Scrape the pork mixture out of the food processor into a mixing bowl. Add the spices and maple extract. Blend together well.
Make sausage patties by scooping 1 to 2-ounce portions into a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
Cook the sausage for 3 minutes or more until done; the temperature should read 160 degrees.
Helpful tips for making sausage patties
- To get uninformed patties, I use a cookie scoop but you can eyeball it. It also helps to keep your hands clean.
- Another little trick I use to keep the mess to a minimum is to press them between to sheets of parchment paper with the back of my spatula.
Excellent egg recipes to try with low-carb Breakfast sausage
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Low-Carb Maple Breakfast Sausage
- 1 lb ground pork
- 6 oz bacon sugar-free
- 1 tbsp truvia
- 1 ½ tsp maple extract
- 1 ½ tsp dried onion
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ fennel seeds
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp powder thyme
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- In a spice grinder or mortar, grind together the dry spices and the sugar substitute. Next, process the bacon into a fine ground. Add the ground pork and pulse to combine. Scrape the pork mixture out of the food processor into a mixing bowl. Add the spices and maple extract.* Blend together well.
- Make sausage patties by scooping 1 to 2 ounce portions into a wax paper lined baking sheet.** An ice cream scoop will help to make uniformed patties. Cover the scoops with a sheet of wax paper and flatten each with the back of a spatula.
- Cook the sausage for 3 minutes or more on each side until done; the temperature should read 160 degrees.
**1 oz scoops will make 24 sausages and 2 oz scoops will make 12.
***This recipe was originally published on 5/23/2018. I was updated 6/17/2020 for content and recipe correction.***