This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
This Low Carb Maple Breakfast Sausage recipe keeps the flavor while ditching the carbs. Delicious maple flavor without the added sugar.
Keep the flavor, ditch the carbs with this sugar-free maple breakfast sausage recipe. The delicious taste of maple syrup without the guilt in this healthified version of a morning classic. This recipe is one of my favorites. I make even when I’m not low carbing. It’s so good.
What you will need to make Low-carb Maple Breakfast Sausage
Parchment or wax paper
A good 80/20 ground pork with a few pieces of bacon to add a little more fat. The extra fat keeps the sausage from being too dry and adds extra flavor. Choose a sugar-free bacon to keep the carbs low. The spices are what make breakfast sausage the greatness that it is. Fennel, thyme, and a touch of cinnamon make these perfectly savory. What gives these breakfast patties their maple sweet taste without added sugar is a combination of maple extract and a sugar substitute.
How to make homemade breakfast sausage
In a spice grinder or mortar, grind together the dry spices and the sugar substitute.
Next, process the bacon into a fine ground. Add the ground pork and pulse to combine.
Scrape the pork mixture out of the food processor into a mixing bowl. Add the spices and maple extract. Blend together well.
Make sausage patties by scooping 1 to 2-ounce portions into a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
Cook the sausage for 3 minutes or more until done; the temperature should read 160 degrees.
Helpful tips for making sausage patties
- To get uninformed patties, I use a cookie scoop but you can eyeball it. It also helps to keep your hands clean.
- Another little trick I use to keep the mess to a minimum is to press them between to sheets of parchment paper with the back of my spatula.
Excellent egg recipes to try with low-carb Breakfast sausage
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Low-Carb Maple Breakfast Sausage
- 1 lb ground pork
- 6 oz bacon sugar-free
- 1 tbsp truvia
- 1 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1 1/2 tsp dried onion
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp powder thyme
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- In a spice grinder or mortar, grind together the dry spices and the sugar substitute. Next, process the bacon into a fine ground. Add the ground pork and pulse to combine. Scrape the pork mixture out of the food processor into a mixing bowl. Add the spices and maple extract.* Blend together well.
- Make sausage patties by scooping 1 to 2 ounce portions into a wax paper lined baking sheet.** An ice cream scoop will help to make uniformed patties. Cover the scoops with a sheet of wax paper and flatten each with the back of a spatula.
- Cook the sausage for 3 minutes or more on each side until done; the temperature should read 160 degrees.
**1 oz scoops will make 24 sausages and 2 oz scoops will make 12.
***This recipe was originally published on 5/23/2018. I was updated 6/17/2020 for content and recipe correction.***