Lemonade Iced Tea is a delicious mashup of lemonade and the best sweet tea ever brewed. Served with tons of ice and sliced lemons for the most refreshing beverage.
Known locally as half and half, Lemonade Iced Tea is a Baltimore staple. Usually found in sub shops and chicken spots, this drink is only official if ordered jumbo sized. It’s a Baltimore icon right up there with the chicken box and lake trout. I’m going to show you how to make this ridiculously delicious drink.
What you will need to make Lemonade Iced Tea
Black tea bags
Water and ice
Pot or saucepan
Long handle spoon
How to use simple syrup for beverages
This lemonade iced tea starts with simple syrup for the lemonade and the tea. Make simple syrup by dissolving equal parts sugar and water. It is used to sweeten a variety of things. A couple of benefits of using simple syrup in beverages is:
- Dissolving the sugar in water before adding it to drinks ensures no grittiness and concentrated sweetness.
- Simple syrup can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 weeks in an airtight jar so you can make it and use it for individual servings over time.
How to make simple syrup for lemonade
To make simple syrup add water and sugar to a pot. Set it over medium flame until the sugar dissolves. The water should begin a slow simmer at this point. Remove it from the heat and set it aside to cool slightly then add the lemon juice.
Sweet tea simple syrup for single cup iced tea
Sweet tea simple syrup is the same equal parts of sugar and water make with steeped tea bags. The benefits of making sweet tea simple syrup are the same as plain simple syrup with the bonus of not having to boil tea bags for each glass. It can be stored in the fridge for several weeks for individual servings.
How to make sweet tea simple syrup recipe
In the same manner, add the sugar and water to a pot along with the tea bags. Be sure to secure the tea bags to the pot handles. Once the sugar dissolves, remove it from the heat and allow the tea to steep for 10 minutes or more before removing the bags.
How to make Lemonade Iced Tea
In a gallon container, pour the cooled tea and lemon syrups followed by the lemon slices, ice, and water. Give it a good stir and it’s ready to serve.
How to use lemonade and sweet tea simple syrups for individual cups
To make an individual cup of lemonade or ice tea from simple syrup, pour 1/4 c of either syrup into a glass with 1 cup of water and ice. Make half and half by adding 2 tablespoons of each to a glass with water and ice.
Note: This recipe is sweet and that’s just how we like it in Charm City. However, you can control the sweetness by adding more water to reach your desired taste.
Try more Baltimore’s favorite recipes!
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Lemonade Iced Tea (Baltimore Half and Half)
- 4 c sugar
- 4 c water
- 2 lemon sliced (optional)
- 5 black tea bags
- 1 1/2 c lemon juice
- 10 c water
- Set a pot with 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water over medium until the sugar dissolves. The water should begin a slow simmer at this point. Remove it from the heat and set it aside to cool slightly then add the lemon juice.
- In a separate pot, add the remaining sugar and 2 cups of water to a pot along with the tea bags. Secure the strings to the pot handles. Once the sugar dissolves, remove it from the heat and allow the tea to steep for 10 minutes or more before removing the bags.
- In a gallon container, pour the cooled tea and lemon syrups followed by the lemon slices, ice, and water. Give it a good stir and it’s ready to serve.