This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Strawberry Cream Cheese Buttercream—a creamy American buttercream enriched with cream cheese and a delicious strawberry flavor.
My strawberry cream cheese buttercream recipe is seriously like eating a scoop of strawberry ice cream. It’s firm frosting fit for stacking between layers of cake and yet silky enough to pipe as decoration. This buttercream also sits well at room temperature. I use it to top my yummy Strawberry Cupcakes but it also amazing with my Moist Chocolate Cake and delicious Yellow Cake.
Strawberry cream cheese buttercream ingredients
Strawberry extract– This helps to deepen that the strawberry flavor but the recipe is not reliant upon it. You may skip the extract if you don’t have it or don’t want to use it.
Freezer dried strawberries
Freeze-dried strawberries pack concentrated flavor in small amounts. For this recipe, I’m using 1 cup or 1 1/2 ounces of dried berries. That’s equivalent to 2 cups of fresh berries or 1 cup of strawberry purée. Using the dried berries keeps the frosting creamy and firm. It also tints the buttercream a lovely pink without adding food coloring.
Tips for making this perfect frosting
- Pulverize the dried strawberries into powder. A spice grinder or Nutribullet (affil link) will do the trick.
- Use room temperature cream cheese and butter. This helps to avoid unflavored clumps in the finished frosting.
- Add volume to the buttercream with a mixer. Using a mixer will help to blend the ingredients better and adds volume to the frosting. Beating the buttercream with heavy cream on high speed creates a fluffy smooth frosting.
- Be sure to scrape the bowl in between ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom to pull in the the ingredients.
How to make strawberry cream cheese buttercream from scratch
To a bowl, add the softened cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium speed for 3-4 minutes until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Next, beat in the pulverized dried strawberries, salt, and extract if using it for 1 minute.
Turning the mixer off, add one heaping cup of powdered sugar to the bowl. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed to whip it into the butter. Repeat until all of the sugar is mixed in. Add the heavy cream and slowly turning the mixer to medium-low speed. Once the cream is mixed in well, turn the speed to high and whip for about 2 minutes until fluffy.
How to serve and store strawberry cream cheese buttercream
This recipe is the perfect amount for 2 dozen cupcakes or to frost a double layer cake. It can be doubled or halved to suit your needs. To store, place leftovers in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 c salted butter softened
- 1-2 tsp strawberry extract optional
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 c dried strawberry powdered
- 8 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 c heavy cream more or less depending on the consistency you want
- To a bowl, add the softened cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium speed for 3-4 minutes until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Next, beat in the pulverized dried strawberries, salt, and extract if using it for 1 minute.
- Turning the mixer off, add one heaping cup of powdered sugar to the bowl. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed to whip it into the butter the raise it to high as the sugar is blended. Repeat until all of the sugar is mixed in. Add the heavy cream and turn the mixer to medium speed. Once the cream is mixed in well, turn the speed to high and whip for about 2 minutes until fluffy.