Homemade Strawberry Syrup
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Make this easy Homemade Strawberry Syrup for a nostalgic glass of pink milk or the best strawberry milkshakes ever!
Homemade Strawberry Syrup takes ordinary desserts to new heights of yum. It’s perfect for topping desserts like ice cream or New York Cheesecake. With minimal ingredients, you can easily whip up this syrup for special occasions or a regular day.
Fruit syrup vs fruit coulis
This recipe is basically a fruit coulis. Coulis is a thin purée of sweetened fruit sauce served as an accompaniment to many desserts. The syrup is a thicker sauce but made with the same base recipe. It’s often thickened with more sugar or cornstarch.
How to use strawberry syrup
Strawberry syrup can be used for almost any dessert you’d like to amp up. But a few of my favorite ways include:
- Strawberry milk: Add 3-4 tablespoons of strawberry syrup to 8 ounces of very cold milk (your choice) and stir.
- Strawberry milkshakes: For the ultimate strawberry shake, add 1 cup of vanilla or strawberry ice cream, 1/4 cup of milk (more as needed), plus 1/4 cup of syrup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strawberry cupcake batter: Find the recipe for my Strawberry Cupcakes HERE.
- Pancakes: You can also use the syrup with my favorite Classic Pancake Recipe.
What you need to make strawberry syrup
Strawberries– Fresh or frozen. I typically will make fruit syrup with frozen fruit because of convenience. Fresh works beautifully when in season. Be sure to defrost and drain if using frozen.
Red food coloring– Dye is not necessary but I like to add it for a deeper color when I use the syrup in other recipes.
How to store fruit syrup
Store the syrup in the fridge in a jar with lid for up to a week. I used a cute glass maple syrup bottle. You can find similar ones on amazon HERE (affil link). You may also freeze the syrup in a freezer-safe bag for a few weeks.
More delicious strawberry recipes!
Strawberry Refrigerator Jam
Strawberry Crunch Ice Cream Cake
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
You can also follow me on Pinterest | Instagram | Facebook for recipes not featured on this site!
Homemade Strawberry Syrup
- 4 c strawberries
- 2 c sugar
- 1 c water
- 1 tbsp strawberry extract
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp red food coloring optional
- Blend the strawberries, sugar, and water in a blender until smooth. Pour the purée into a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring the pot to a rolling boil over low to medium heat for 5 minutes for the sugar to melt. Stir consistently so that it doesn’t scorch.
- Whisk together the cornstarch, 2 tablespoons of water. Turn off the heat and whisk in the cornstarch mixture, strawberry extract, and red food coloring if using. Allow the syrup to cool before storing or serving.