Make this amazingly moist banana cake topped with toasted pecan streusel drizzled with a delicious vanilla honey glaze your next brunch addition.
A good cookbook and few bad bananas are all you need for this recipe. And a good cookbook this is. Besides these amazing banana pecan coffee cake muffins, this book has some serious soul food yum. I mean good downhome recipes. Check it out John Currence's Big Bad Breakfast for some really dope recipes.
Making banana pecan coffee cake
I've made this recipe a few times now and the only change I found I needed to make was adding a little bit more flour to make firmer muffins. They seemed to be a little soft without it. I've provided the adjustment in the recipe.
Can we talk about this glaze real quick? This ridiculously wonderful, totally optional, but you really don't want to miss it, vanilla honey glaze. It just sets these bad boys off. I say make it and give people the option because it's really sweet. Delicious, but sweet. You can also use this for honeybuns as suggested by the author.
Make sure to toast the pecans fisrt so that they can cool completely before adding them to the streusel. A castiron skillet does the trick. A few minutes over medium heat is all that's needed. I also use a pastry cutter to grind everything together so that the butter doesn't melt.
I would also caution you to not fill the muffin tins too high. About two-thirds of the way is best. They will rise and your crumb will spill over. Needless to say, you will have a little batter left over. And if you don't mind a little spillover (I don't mind), use it up.
Don't forget to pin, yum, and rate this recipe!
Banana Pecan Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1 1/3 c all purpose flour
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1/4 c milk
- 1/4 c canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c toasted pecans
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter cubed and chilled
Vanilla Honey Glaze
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 c honey
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp milk more if needed
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- In a small bowl beat 3 tbsp of butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar, honey, and vanilla. Blend until smooth then whisk in milk 2 tbsp to start until desired consistency is achieved.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line or grease muffin tin and set aside. Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl then set aside.
- Beat on medium speed the banana, sugar, egg, and oil. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, then add the milk and sour cream. Blend until well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Toast the pecan in a hot cast iron skillet for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. Pour into a bowl to cool completely then add to the bowl the flour, sugars, butter and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or your fingertips, work the cold butter into the flour until a coarse crumble forms. Sprinkle evenly over the batter.
- Bake until golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool for 5-10 and drizzle about 1-2 teaspoons per muffin before serving.