Banana Coffee Cake Muffins —moist bakery-style banana muffins topped with toasted pecan streusel and drizzled with vanilla honey glaze.
Turn old bananas into amazingness with this Banana Coffee Cake Muffin recipe. These high-top bakery-style muffins are topped with a buttery pecan brown sugar streusel and drizzled with a dreamy vanilla honey glaze. These babies won’t last long on any table.
Banana coffee cake muffin ingredients
Tips for making bakery-style muffins
Bakery-style muffins are domed on top and adorned with large sugar crystals or crunchy streusel. Those high dimes aren’t a given. They require a few extra steps to ensure success. Here are 5 tips for bakery-style muffins:
- Rest the batter- The batter need to sit in the refrigerator or counter for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix the baking soda with the acidic liquid- Adding the soda to the dairy will active the leaving in the baking soda allowing it cause rising in the batter before baking. That will help with the height.
- Start with high heat- The high temperature will also help the muffins to rise quickly. The heat needs to be dropped are the first 5-6 minutes.
- Fill the muffin tin to the top- Fill the the cups basically to the rim. Having high collar wrappers can help with any accidental spillage prior to baking.
How to make banana coffee cake muffins
I always start by toasting the pecans in a dry cast-iron skillet so that they can cool sufficiently before making the streusel. Once cooled, I cut the flour, butter, sugars, and cinnamon together. This can be done in a food processor as well.
Next, I make the batter by whisking together the dry ingredients including the sugar minus the baking soda. The baking soda is mix together in another bowl with the yogurt and milk. This activates the baking soda allowing it to assist in rising the muffins.
Then I mash the bananas and beat them with the egg. The wet ingredients (banana mixture and butter) gets mixed into the dry followed by the milk mixture. At this point, you can let the batter rest but resting part can be skipped.
Finally, I spoon the batter in to the tins and spread the streusel over each muffin. Bake at 425 for 6 minutes the drop the heat to 375 for another 18-20 minutes.
During the baking I make the vanilla honey glaze. It’s optional but it’s so worth making it. It drizzled over the slightly cooled muffins before serving. Use the letter glaze for a batch of Old Fashioned Honey Buns.
Brunch worthy quick bread recipes
Apple Oat Muffins
Cinnamon Apple Cider Bread
Olive Oil Banana Bread
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Pecan Streusel Banana Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1 ⅔ c all-purpose flour (200 grams)
- 2 mashed bananas
- ½ c sugars
- ¼ c vanilla yogurt
- ¼ c milk
- ½ c unsalted butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ c toasted pecans
- ¼ c all-purpose flour
- ¼ c brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter cubed and chilled
Vanilla Honey Glaze
- 1 c powdered sugar
- ¼ c honey
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 2 tbsp milk more if needed
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- Toast the pecan in a hot cast-iron skillet for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. Pour into a bowl to cool completely then add to the bowl the flour, sugars, chilled butter, and cinnamon. Using a pastry cutter, work the cold butter into the flour and pecans until a coarse crumble forms. Store the streusel in the fridge for later.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin tin and set aside. Stir together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and sugar in a bowl then set aside.
- In a smaller bowl mix together the yogurt, milk, and baking soda. Use a separate bowl to mix the mashed banana and egg. Combine the banana mixture and melted butter with the flour mixture using medium speed on a hand mixer. Follow with the milk mixture and blend well. Let batter rest for at least half-hour.
- After a half-hour, spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake the muffins for 6 minutes. Then drop the heat to 375 degrees and another 18-22 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan onto a cooling rack for 5-8 minutes before serving.
Honey Vanilla Glaze
- Beat the buyer until smooth. Blend the powdered sugar, honey, and vanilla until smooth then whisk in the milk 2 tablespoons to start until desired consistency is achieved. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled muffins.