Olive Oil Banana Bread —ripe bananas, vanilla yogurt, and extra virgin olive make a deliciously moist classic quick bread.
This Olive Oil Banana Bread is a lightened up version of classic banana bread. Using olive oil instead of butter for a more healthful bread without looking flavor. This recipe is a spin on a dear friend’s mother’s banana bread recipe which I believe to be the best banana bread I’ve ever had. My adaptation came about not to improve the recipe but out of the need to improvise. The result is this still delicious but a bit more healthy version of an amazing banana bread recipe.
Olive oil banana bread ingredients
Vanilla yogurt, or plain
Light and fluffy quick bread
This bread is not only better for you because of the ingredients, but it’s also super fluffy and not at all dense. The original recipe calls for shortening and milk to which baking soda is added to activate its leavening power. Banana bread can be really dense so adding baking soda to an acidic ingredient like yogurt or milk in a recipe will create carbon dioxide making it act as yeast. This gives more lift to the batter making a fluffier bread.
Start by mixing the vanilla yogurt and baking soda in a small bowl. Set it aside to get airy and bubbly.
In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and whisk them with the sugar, olive oil, and egg.
Pour the banana mixture into the flour followed by the airy yogurt. Beat until smooth without over mixing.
Pour the batter into a prepared 9x5 loaf pan and bake at 325° for 50 minutes to an hour. Check for doneness around 45-50 minutes and every 5 minutes after until fully baked.
Allow the loaf to completely cool on a rack before serving.
More quick bread recipes
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Olive Oil Banana Bread
- 2 c all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ c sugar
- ½ c vanilla yogurt or plain
- ⅓ c olive oil
- 1 egg
- 3 medium bananas mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla optional if using plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 325°. In a small bowl mix, the yogurt and baking soda then set aside.
- In another bowl mix together the olive oil, sugar, and egg. To that add the mashed bananas, salt, and baking powder.
- Add half the flour and blend, followed by the airy sour cream and blend, and then the last of the flour to blend.
- Pour into a greased 9x5 loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes to one hour. Check for doneness around 45-50 minutes and every 5 minutes after until fully baked. Allow the banana bread to completely cool on a rack before serving.