Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole made with your favorite breakfast sausage crumbles, loads of veggies, cheese, and crispy tater tots.
This Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole can be made well ahead of time and eaten over a few days which making it an excellent choice for weekly meal-prep and filling on-the-go meals. It’s also great for a potluck brunch option when feeding a crowd.
Breakfast casserole ingredients
Mixed bell peppers-I’m using a mix of red, green, yellow, and orange peppers but you can use whichever you have.
13” cast-iron skillet
The beauty of this casserole is the ability to make it your own. Use your favorite breakfast sausage or make it vegetarian by leaving it out. You can also add or change the veggies to your taste.
How to make a cheesy tater tot casserole
Start by preparing the tater tots. I like to partially cook them so that they are extra crisp on top of the casserole. To do so you need to preheat the oven to 425 degrees and bake the tots for 15 minutes. After removing the tots from the oven, reduce the temperature to 375 degrees.
While the tots are cooking, brown the breakfast sausage in the skillet. Drain any excess fat if you’re using pork or another fatty sausage. To the browned meat add the onions and peppers to cook for 2-3 minutes to soften slightly. Toss in the fresh spinach to wilt; about another minute then turn off the heat.
Beat the eggs with the milk, cheddar, salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the meat.
Layer the tots with the crispest side down on top of the egg mixture.
Bake at 375 degrees for 28-30 minutes or until the egg is set. Can take up to 45 minutes depending on the size of your dish if you’re not using a cast-iron skillet to bake. Mine baked for 28 minutes.
Allow it to cool for 5 minutes or so before serving.
More On-the-go breakfast recipes
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Recipe update 10/10/2020
I’ve made a few updates to the recipe technique, ingredients, and content for improvement. It was originally posted on 6/21/2019.
Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 50 tater tots defrosted
- 1 lb breakfast sausage browned (I used turkey)
- 1 c mixed peppers diced
- ½ c onion diced
- 3 oz fresh spinach about 2 cups
- 9 eggs large
- ⅔ c milk
- 4 oz mild shredded cheddar add more if desired
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spread the tater tot on a baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes. Remove the tots and drop the oven temperature to 375.
- Next, brown the breakfast sausage in the skillet, draining any excess fat as necessary. Add the onions and peppers to the sausage and cook for 2-3 minutes. Toss in the fresh spinach to wilt; about another minute then turn off the heat.
- Beat the eggs with the milk, cheddar, salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage. Layer the tater tots with the crispest side down on top of the casserole.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 28-30 minutes or until the egg is set. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes or so before serving.