This Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a quick and easy morning meal. It’s perfect for weekly meal prep and filling on-the-go noshing!
Who doesn't loves a quick and easy breakfast that's filling and delicious? I know I do! One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it can be made well ahead of time and eaten over a few days. This is an ultimate meal prep recipe with minimal work involved.
Frozen Tater Tots
I like to use frozen crown tots because they are flat versus the cylinder shaped ones. So they pretty much stay in an even layer at the bottom of the casserole. No need to defrost. I believe keeping frozen helps them to stay on the bottom of the casserole during baking. And as an FYI, I'm not loyal to any brand in particular but I did use the Ore Ida Golden Crispy Crowns for this recipe.
Quick Prep Secret
One of my favorite shortcuts is to use frozen pre-cut peppers and onion. It will make life much simpler for so many recipes. Meal prepping can be super tedious and time-consuming. Honestly, it's probably the reason many folks give up or don't try it at all. Save yourself some time: buy pre-cut frozen veggies!
Making the Casserole
The recipe starts with a layer of crown tater tots covered with cheese. Ten follows a layer of cooked breakfast sausage with peppers and onions of your choice. I like chicken or turkey sausage but pork will work. Top that with another layer of cheese and the egg batter.
Bake at 375 degrees until the egg is set. Can take up to 45 minutes; maybe more. Mine baked for a little more than 35 minutes.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes to Try!
Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 8 eggs
- 2/3 c milk
- 6 oz chicken breakfast sausage or preferred
- 30 frozen tater tots defrosted
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 c diced onion
- 1/2 c diced green peppers
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- pinch of coarse black pepper
- In a skillet heat the olive oil and add the onions and peppers. Cook until softened then add the chicken sausage. Allow it to cook until done and crispy brown. Set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat the eggs with the milk, butter, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange a single layer of tots in an 8x11 baking dish. Top evenly with half of the cheese. Follow by a layer of the cooked sausage and peppers and then the remaining cheese. Cover the layer with the beaten egg mixture.
- Bake at 375-degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the egg is firm and set in the center.