A yummy egg-free freezer-friendly breakfast burrito recipe for a quick start to your busy day. Great for the picky eater on the go.
Everyone has a picky eater to contend with. Whether a toddler or a teen or even a finicky spouse, inevitably someone will add challenge to planning meals. I have one of each so, making one meal requires a little bit of juggling. Now, I’m not one of those people who cater to every dislike, but I do care about legitimate food aversions.
My teen does not like eggs. She simply lost the taste for them and she will not eat them in their pure form. Not even in the breakfast tacos that she used to beg for me to make for her. So, making weekly meal prep breakfasts got a little more challenging because one of the easiest things to throw in the freezer for her and my husband were my sausage, potato, and egg burritos.
Well, since the goal of meal prep is to simplify my life in the kitchen I didn’t want to always make two separate fillings for the burritos. Instead, I chose to swap out the eggs for diced ham. Could I just scramble eggs separately and add them to some? Of course. But like I said, I’m in this for simple. However, my egg loving husband doesn’t even mind that there’s no egg in it. He thinks that they are delicious!
The non-egg eaters and egg eaters in your life will love you more for this one.
How to make them
I don’t use burrito sized tortillas for breakfast burritos. It’s just too much for us on weekday mornings. I use the regular 8” taco shells. I microwave my potato using the potato setting. That way I’m really only using one pan to cook everything. After I’ve peeled and roughly chopped the potato, I saute the peppers and onions with the sausage crumble in a little butter. Followed by the cooked ham and chopped potato.
Assemble by adding a scoop of filling to the shell atop with cheese and roll into a closed flute. Wrap each one individually with parchment paper and store in a freezer bag. They will keep in the freezer for a couple of weeks.
Don’t forget to pin, yum, and rate this recipe!
- 10 8″ flour tortillas
- 1 large russet potato cooked and chopped
- 8 oz monterey jack cheese shredded
- 6 oz breakfast ground sausage
- 4 oz ham steak diced
- 1/2 c white onion diced
- 1/2 each red and green pepper diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt + pepper to taste
- Add one tbsp of butter to a hot skillet with ground sausage, onions, and peppers. Cook until the sausage is well done then add the ham to brown slightly.
- Add the remaining butter and chopped potato. Toss gently so that the potato isn’t mashed. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- To assemble, divide the filling and cheese evenly over the 10 tortilla shells. Fold in two opposite corners followed by one of the open ends and roll to the center. Repeat for each one.
Freezing and Reheating
- To store in the freezer, wrap each burrito individually in parchment paper. Place them in a freezer storage bag and freeze until needed.
- To reheat, place 1-2 burritos in the microwave still in the parchment paper for 1 minute. Then turn them over and heat for another minute. If it needs more time, add 15-20 second increments until fully heated.