This super quick, crazy easy homemade French bread made with 5 ingredients. Fresh soft bread in just over an hour from start to finish.
I’ve been feeling quite domestic these days. So much that I decided to try my hand at homemade bread and I am #winning! Listen, I have talked about making my own bread since forever but never got close to trying because I always felt overwhelmed by my idea of the process. I imagined that it required a bread machine or multiple hours of kneading and risings. Frankly, I just felt like it wasn’t worth the time or investment. Until a few days ago I came across a recipe that didn’t intimidate me. It was super easy and with a few minor tweaks, it turned out perfect. It calls for just five (5) ingredients, and one hour of work from start to finish.
I told myself I would put in the effort and try it at least once. Believe me when I say that, this will not be the last time that I make this. I’m hooked! We ate almost two loaves that night with lasagna. We were all stuffed. The bread was just right for sopping up the saucy lasagna and slathering on butter. I must say that I impressed myself! I planning to make several mini rolls for hoagies the next go round.
Making French bread
It seriously could not be easier. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet, knead, rise, and roll. That’s it. The most involved part of the process is kneading the dough and adding additional flour if needed. And if the flour is measured properly, you won’t need much if any. So don’t be intimidated. Give this homemade French bread recipe a try.
Don’t forget to pin, yum, and rate this recipe!
- 3 1/2 c bread flour (plus more for dusting)
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 c water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp honey
- Mix flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add water and mix with dough hook attachment on electric mixer or a large wooden spoon until dough is formed. *
- Dust kneading surface with flour and knead dough into a ball.
- Coat bowl and dough with oil and cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel for about 20 minutes until dough is doubled in size.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees and turn it off once it’s achieved.
- Punch dough down and divide into 2-4 balls.
- Roll out each dough ball one at a time into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface and roll them jellyroll style placing them on a baking sheet.
- Cut 3 1/4 inch slits into each loaf.
- Mix milk and honey and brush each loaf generously. **
- Place baking sheet into pre-heated off oven for another 20 minutes until dough rises again.
- After 20 minutes, turn oven back on to 400 degrees and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
** Milk and honey allows the bread to brown. Adapted from Your Home Based Mom