This luscious decadent Maryland cream of crab soup will have you swooning over every bite. It’s loaded with the signature sweet Maryland crab meat and all of the heavenly cream in the world.
Anyone who knows me even a little bit knows that I am a die-hard crab freak. Maryland blue crab to be precise. There is a difference and it does matter. Maryland crab is sweet. The taste is just distinct from other waters. So when I cook something are rich and as special as this cream of crab soup, it has to be made with Maryland crab.
While sharing this recipe I am aware that not all of my readers are in my state and don’t have access to Maryland crab waters. Crab from any region will be just as delicious just as long as it’s actually blue crab. I have never tried it this recipe with any other crab meat. So you do not have access to blue crab at all, you could try it with what you have locally and share your experience with us.
Making cream of crab soup
It starts with a roux. Followed by seafood stock.
Then the half and half, pimento, parsley, crab meat, and butter.
Don’t forget to pin, yum, and rate this recipe!
- 1 lb crab meat shells removed
- 1 qt half & half
- 1 c seafood stock
- 1/3 c cooking sherry
- 8 tbsp salted butter cut into equal pieces
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp diced pimentos
- 4 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley plus more to garnish
- 4 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1-2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne optional
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a 3-5 quart dutch oven over medium-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Don’t allow it to brown. Should take 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the flour and stir to form a roux. Allow it to cook for 1 1/2 minutes before it browns. Pour in the seafood stock and sherry, whisk to make a sauce.
- Stir in all of the dried spices including the salt then the half and half. Continue stirring until it blends completely. Next, add the pimentos, parsley, and crab meat.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the remaining butter, allow it to simmer. Stir frequently being sure to scrape the bottom to loosen any sticking. Cook another 10-15 minutes on very low heat. Turn off the heat and cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve while hot.