Fluffy flaky tender sweet potato biscuits kissed with just a touch of brown sugar and love. The perfect brunch worthy biscuit.
That description will preach, lol. And so will these biscuits! Seriously, these babies are the bomb. Not too sweet whereas you feel like it’s dessert but slightly so that you think of breakfast. I would serve these at any meal but they are a match made in food heaven for breakfast and brunch.
How to make them
You make these the same way you would my classic southern biscuits. Everything must be ice cold. Mix sweet potato, milk, and brown sugar in advance and chill it in the freezer with the cubed butter. Cut the cold butter to the dry ingredients then add the wet.
Then mix as you normally would. The dough will be the same consistency as the classic. Roll in flour and cut to preferred size. Always brush with butter before baking at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
These beauties rise nice and tall with the most gorgeous orange hue. We tear into these with butter of course and a generous squeeze of honey.
Don’t forget to pin, yum, and rate this recipe!
- 2 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c butter cubed and chilled
- 1/2 c whole milk
- 1/3 c sweet potato puree canned
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together the milk, sweet potato, and brown sugar. Chill it int e fridge or freezer for 15 minutes along with the cubed butter.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients and cut in the butter. Once it is a mealy consistency, pour in the sweet potato milk. Work the dough into a soft crumbly ball and pour it out onto to a floured surface.
- Knead into a 5-6 inch rectangle and fold. Then knead and press it another 3-4 time. Roll the dough about 1/4 inch thick and cut to preferred size. I use a 3″ biscuit cutter to get 12. Reshape and roll the dough again to continue making cuts.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet and brush with butter. Be sure to allow a little space between biscuits to expand and touch during baking. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.