This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Southern Sweet Potato Biscuits —flaky tender buttery biscuits laced with sweet potato and a touch of brown sugar. The perfect brunch biscuit.
These Southern Sweet Potato Biscuits are point-blank delicious. They’re not too sweet whereas you feel like it’s dessert but slightly so that you think of a breakfast treat. I would serve these at any meal but they are a match made in food heaven for breakfast and brunch.
What you need to make sweet potato biscuit
All purpose flour
Baking sheets or cast-iron skillet
Tips for making great biscuits
- Start with cold ingredients. Mix sweet potato, milk, and brown sugar in advance and chill it in the freezer with the cubed butter.
- Invest in a pastry cutter. Cutting butter into flour is much easier and more efficient with a pastry cutter than forks. Using an instrument to cut in the butter keeps it from melting during the preparation.
How to make sweet potato biscuits
Whisk the flour, salt, and baking agents together in a mixing bowl. Cut the cold butter to the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter.
Add the sweet potato mixture and blend with a spoon or the pastry cutter. Knead the dough into a ball on a floured surface.
Roll and fold the dough in thirds 3-4 times before cutting to preferred size with a biscuit cutter.
Brush with more melted butter before baking in a 400-degree oven for 16-18 minutes.
Brush with butter again before serving.
Maple cinnamon butter
Serve these beauties with whipped maple cinnamon butter.
Softened salted butter is whipped with maple syrup and cinnamon for the perfect spread.
More brunch recipes you will love
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
*This recipe was updated on 9/22/2020. It was first posted on 1/25/20219.*
Southern Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 2 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c unsalted butter cubed and chilled
- 1/2 c whole milk chilled
- 1 c sweet potato mashed and cooled
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
Maple Cinnamon Butter
- 1/4 c salted butter softened
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together the milk, sweet potato, and brown sugar. Chill it in the fridge or freezer for 15 minutes along with the cubed butter.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients and cut in the butter. Pour in the sweet potato mixture. Work the dough into a soft ball with a pastry cutter. Dump the dough out onto to a floured surface.
- Knead into a 5-6 inch rectangle and fold. Then knead and press it another 3-4 time. Roll out and cut the dough with 3″ biscuit cutter. Reshape and roll the dough again to continue making cuts. You should get 8-10 biscuits.
- Place biscuits in a buttered cast-iron skillet or on a baking sheet and brush with butter. Bake for 16-18 minutes. Brush with more butter after baking if desired.
Maple Cinnamon Butter
- Whip the softened butter, maple syrup, and cinnamon in a bowl. Store in the fridge in an airtight container until needed.