Air Fryer Mozzarella Bites
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
These Air Fryer Mozzarella Bites are a healthier fun-sized version of mozzarella sticks. Coated for the perfect crunch with less fat.
Fried cheese sticks are one out of many appetizers that I love to order out. Who could dislike love deep-fried cheese, like seriously? As yummy as they are, the calorie content in just two of those crispy sticks is mind-blowing. That’s where Air Fryer Mozzarella Bites come in. These bite-sized nuggets of gooey cheese have a fraction of the calories while satisfying cravings.
Mozzarella bites ingredients
Mozzarella string cheese– Choose a part-skim reduced-fat string cheese stick to save calories and fat.
Butter garlic croutons– Use any seasoned crouton that you prefer fir added flavor.
Egg– Egg white may be used in place of a whole egg if required.
Canola oil spray
Prep and tips
- Cut the string cheese sticks into 3-4 equal parts. This will allow 6-8 pieces per serving.
- Before preparing this recipe, the string cheese must be frozen for at least 30 minutes. Be sure to cut the sticks into pieces before freezing.
- Work quickly once you begin to ensure that the cheese doesn’t defrost. Only set the cheese out once the other prep steps have been done.
- Double coat the cheesy bites in the egg and crumbs. Doing so protects the cheese from oozing out of thin or spotty crumb coating.
- Don’t skip the canola oil or olive oil spray. This light spritz of oil adds to the crispiness of the coating.
How to make air fryer mozzarella bites
Crush the croutons in a food processor with the flour, salt, garlic powder, and dried basil. Place the crumbs in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and water.
Next, toss the frozen cheese pieces in the reserved tablespoon of flour.
Dip the floured pieces into the egg then the crumbs. Repeat for a second coat into the egg wash them the crumbs. Line the pieces onto the air fryer rack. Spray them with canola oil. Set the air fryer to 400° for 8 minutes.
Remove the mozzarella bites and serve immediately with warm Homemade Marinara Sauce.
Lighter appetizer recipes
Air Fryer Old Bay Wings
Baked Chicken Egg Rolls
Maryland Steamed Shrimp
Air Fryer Mozzarella Bites
- 8 reduced-fat mozzarella string cheese sticks cut into 32 pieces and freeze for 30 min
- 1 c butter garlic croutons
- 1/3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp flour reserved
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- Canola oil spray
- Grind the croutons, flour, salt, garlic powder, and dried basil in a food processor. Place the crumbs in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and water. Next, toss the frozen mozzarella pieces in the reserved tablespoon of flour.
- Dip the floured pieces into the egg then the crumbs. Repeat for a second coat into the egg wash them the crumbs. Line the pieces onto the air fryer rack. Spray them with canola oil. Set the air fryer to 400° for 8 minutes.
- Remove the mozzarella bites and serve immediately with warm Homemade Marinara Sauce.