These Baked Chicken Egg Rolls are loaded with lean chicken and fresh veggies and baked for a healthier version of a traditional egg roll.
Baked Chicken Egg Rolls are a healthier alternative to fried egg rolls. I make these crispy appetizers in the oven but they are perfect for the air fryer. The kids love them with Sriracha Sweet Chili Sauce and Cilantro Lime Rice. They are packed with tons of fresh vegetables and lean protein; a great way to get kids to eat more veggies without knowing. Best of all, they are quick and easy to make.
Chicken egg roll ingredients
Egg roll wrappers
Red cabbage shredded
Red radish shredded
Soy sauce low sodium
Cooking spray or more canola oil
The protein and veggie choices are totally up your taste. Swap out the chicken for pork or shrimp using the same measurements. The same for the vegetables. Use green cabbage instead of red etc.
How to make baked egg rolls
Start by adding canola oil to a skillet to brown the chicken breast. Season with the garlic, ginger, salt, and white pepper followed by the scallion.
Next, add the cabbage, carrots, and radish then stir in the oyster, soy, and fish sauce. Top with cilantro and turn off the heat to cool. Once cooled, divide the filling evenly between the wrappers; about 1-2 tablespoons each.
How to fold egg rolls
To fold the egg rolls, follow the instructions on the package or see the tutorial above.
Line a baking sheet with the finished rolls and enerously spray the egg rolls with cooking spray or brush with canola oil.
Bake in a 425 degree preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until they brown and the edges crisp.
Air fryer method
To make chicken egg rolls in the air fryer, follow all of the steps to spraying or brushing the egg rolls with oil. Line the air fryer tray with the rolls without overcrowding. Set the temp to 390 degrees for 6-8 minutes before turning and cooking for 4-6 minutes more.
Dipping sauces for egg rolls from friends
Serve these egg rolls with a dipping sauce like my Sriracha Sweet Chili Sauce or a sauce from some friends.
More kid-friendly Asian-inspired recipes
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
*This recipe was updated on 9/25/2020 for improved content. It was first published on 1/26/2019.*
Baked Chicken Egg Rolls
- ½ lb minced chicken breast
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 2 c red cabbage shredded
- 1 c carrots shredded
- 1 c red radish shredded
- ¼ c cilantro optional
- 2 tbsp scallions
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tsp ginger finely grated
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce low sodium
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- cooking spray
- In a skillet over medium heat add the canola oil. Allow the oil to heat and add the minced chicken, scallion, garlic, ginger, salt, and white pepper. Mix well and allow to cook controlling the heat.
- Cook about ¾ths of the way and add the cabbage, carrots, and radish. Stir then add the oyster, soy, and fish sauce. Toss to blend and allow to cook another 2 minutes. Top with cilantro and turn off the heat to cool.
- Divide the filling evenly between the wrappers. About 1 ½ tbsp each. To fold the egg rolls, follow the instructions on the package or see the tutorial above and line on a baking sheet. Generously spray the egg rolls with cooking spray of brush with canola oil.
- Bake in a 425 degree preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until they brown and the edges crisp.
Air Fryer Method
- To make chicken egg rolls in the air fryer, line the air fryer tray with the rolls without overcrowding. Set the temp to 390 degrees for 6-8 minutes before turning and cooking for 4-6 minutes more.