A healthier version of a traditional egg roll. These baked chicken egg rolls are loaded with lean chicken and fresh veggies without all the grease.
If you have never made homemade egg rolls, then this is the time to do it. They are beyond easy and like a million times healthier than the deep fried ones you get in a restaurant. Plus you get to choose what goes in them.
My kids love them with chicken and pork. Neither are fans of shrimp egg rolls but I love them. So, if you wanted to swap out the chicken for pork or shrimp, you really could. Measurements and would be the same for everything.
I like to keep them basic but with a little something extra to set them apart. I use red cabbage instead of green for color. I add cilantro because it's so good. I mean you could eat the filling straight from the pan. In fact egg roll bowls are a thing so if you want to give that go, do it. But after you’ve tried them baked!
Baking them instead of frying makes them healthier of course. You might be thinking that not frying them will not give them crispiness but that's not true. By brushing or spraying the egg rolls with oil and having a higher temperature will definitely achieve a nice crisp.
Making egg rolls
Please do not feel intimidated by the idea of folding them. I promise it’s very easy to do. I follow the instruction on the pacakage and if I can do this, anyone can. The steps above is pretty much all you have to do before lining them on a sheet pan and brushing them with oil. Bake at 425 and you’ve got a great thing. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to pin, yum, and rate this recipe!
Baked Chicken Egg Rolls
- 1/2 lb minced chicken breast
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 2 c red cabbage shredded
- 1 c carrots shredded
- 1 c red radish shredded
- 1/4 c cilantro optional
- 2 tbsp scallions
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tsp ginger finely grated
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce low sodium
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- cooking spray
- In a skillet over medium heat add the canola oil. Allow the oil to heat and add the minced chicken, scallion, garlic, ginger, salt, and white pepper. Mix well and allow to cook controlling the heat.
- Cook about 3/4ths of the way and add the cabbage, carrots, and radish. Stir then add the oyster, soy, and fish sauce. Toss to blend and allow to cook another 2 minutes. Top with cilantro and turn off the heat to cool.
- Divide the filling evenly between the wrappers. About 1 1/2 tbsp each. To fold the egg rolls, follow the instructions on the package or see the tutorial above and line on a baking sheet. Generously spray the egg rolls with cooking spray of brush with canola oil.
- Bake in a 425 degree preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until they brown and the edges crisp.