Honey Ginger Sesame Chicken—crispy ginger fried chicken made sticky and yummy with a sweet honey ginger sesame sauce with a side of stir-fried veggies.
This recipe is a crowd-pleasing champion of recipes. It is a much-loved favorite with the family; the kids especially. But who wouldn’t love flash-fried gingery chicken covered in a sticky honey glaze? It sounds amazing and it is just so. Make this Honey Ginger Sesame Chicken with crisp stir-fried veggies for the family to earn a gang of brownie points!
Better then takeout sesame chicken
Sesame chicken is always listed with a little Star on takeout menus indicating that it is a popular item. For good reason. Sesame chicken is crispy, sticky, and a bit on the sweet side with a little bit of tang to cut through it. It hits all of the tastebud notes that make the tongue dance. This recipe does the same but ups the dance factor by a billion notches with honey and ginger.
Recipe to serve with stir-fry
What you need to make honey ginger sesame chicken
Rice wine vinegar
How to debone chicken thighs
For this recipe, I used whole thighs that I deboned and skinned before cutting into chunks. To remove the bone, turn the chicken skin side down with the bone facing up.
Using a sharp knife or kitchen shears, cut the cartilage loose from the meat to release the bone. Removed the skin by pulling at either side to lift it off. Trim any visible fat before cutting into pieces.
Lets make honey ginger sesame chicken
Start by making the sauce with honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, scallion, and sesame seeds.
Then toss together the cornstarch, and remaining spice to coat the chicken. Heat the oil and fry the chicken piece until crisp. Remove the chicken and sauté the veggies.
Finally, remove the veggies from the pan and add the sauce add to thicken. Return the chicken to the pan and stir well.
Turn off the heat and serve immediately over the cooked rice with sesame seeds to garnish and the veggie stir-fry on the side.
More delicious Asian-inspired takeout fake-out recipes
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
*This recipe was updated on 8/18/2020 for improved recipe and content. It was first published on 8/18/2018.*
Honey Ginger Sesame Chicken with Vegetable Stir-Fry
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into chunks
- 1/4 c canola oil
- 1/4 c cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 6 garlic cloves grated
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 c honey
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame seeds more to garnish
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional to taste
- 1 c broccoli florets
- 1/2 c carrots shredded
- 2 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked white rice
- Whisk together the honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, scallion, red pepper flakes, and sesame seeds; set aside.
- Toss together the cornstarch, salt, pepper, and ginger powder in a container. Add the chicken and shake to coat.
- Heat the canola oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned chicken pieces to the hot oil and fry until done about 4-5 minutes. Stir frequently. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- To the wok, add the broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, and red pepper strips. Season with a pinch of salt if desired. Sauté over medium-high heat until slightly tender; about 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove it from the pan.
- Finally, add the sauce to the pan and bring it to a boil 2-3 minutes to thicken. Add the cooked chicken to the sauce and coat well. Turn off the heat and serve immediately over cooked rice with sesame seeds to garnish and the stir-fried vegetables on the side.