This yummy honey ginger sesame chicken is a surprisingly quick and amazingly easy one-pot meal guaranteed to be a weeknight staple.
This is simply the easiest recipe I’ve tried. It takes literally minutes to prep and a few more to cook. It’s perfectly sticky and saucy with loads of flavor yet only requires a few ingredients. Most of which you will probably have on hand. What I like about making these types of quick one-pot meals is that they challenge me to use things already in my cabinets. When I decided to make this my fresh ginger had gone bad so I had to make due with ground ginger. And I feel like that ginger going bad was a blessing in disguise because the powdered kind gives this dish a more potent kick.
You could most certainly use fresh ginger but I think the ground ginger will maintain its flavor in the recipe better. I like to season my food well and one of the best ways to make sure that all of the spices are distributed evenly is to mix them together beforehand and sprinkle them all at once.
Another thing I like to do is to mix my sauce in advance so that it’s ready to pour. The thighs cook pretty quickly since they’re boneless. Once the thighs are done, the sauce needs to be poured immediately so that they aren’t overcooked. Aint nothing worse than an overcooked piece of chicken.
But with the right preparation and timing, this is truly a foolproof meal. Pairs perfectly with white rice and sauteed cabbage (coleslaw mix #lifehack).
Don’t forget to pin, yum, and rate this recipe!
- 2 lb or 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cloves garlic grated or minced
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/3 c honey
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- Whisk together honey, 1 tbsp of the sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce, scallions, garlic, and red pepper flakes and set aside.
- Toss together the salt, pepper, and ginger and sprinkle on both sides of the chicken. Heat remaining tablespoon of sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides until fully cooked. Approx 4 min per side. Check for doneness with a food thermometer.
- Lower the heat and pour the honey mixture over the chicken thighs. Coat both sides well with the sauce and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately over rice.