Make this easy shrimp lo mein for a quick healthy weeknight meal with little fuss and loads of flavor. Packed with tons of veggies and protein.
Quick, easy, and oh so good is what this healthy weeknight meal is all about. I used ingredients you’d probably already have in the fridge to keep it super simple. I even used precooked shrimp to save even more time.
Making shrimp lo mein
Start by preparing the veggies, you can save even more time by precut veggies. A bit of a warning: this dish is spicy! However, you can absolutely remove the heat by eliminating the jalapeno and chili oil and chili peppers. It’s only half teaspoon each but it adds a good amount of heat. The jalapeno likewise.
Then prepare the sauce. I use store bought hot chili oil but you can use homemade if you have it.
Add oil to a wok followed by the sliced vegetables and stock base. I am crazy about stock bases in recipes. I add a little to enhance the flavors of a dish. In this case, I use a vegetable stock base. If you don’t have stock base, you can use prepared stock or just leave it out. A little liquid as I explain below helps to release extra flavors from the pan as the food cooks and carmalizes a little.
Add the shrimp next. Aldi is giving me life right with their seafood selections. I use the large precook shrimp. I just pull the tails off and toss them in, but keep them if you like them on.
Finish the lo mein by adding precooked pasta and a little water. Adding the water helps the stock base and other pan flavors to get into the pasta. I make the pasta al dente so that it doesn’t overcook when I add it to the wok. You can use any noodle you prefer but spaghetti or linguine are almost always available in my pantry. Top with some sliced scallions and enjoy!
Don’t forget to pin, yum, and rate this recipe!
- 1/2 lb spaghetti or linguini cooked al dente
- 12 oz shrimp cooked and cleaned
- 1 lg carrot thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced, optional
- 1/2 red pepper julienned
- 1/2 green pepper julienned
- 1/4 large white onion sliced
- 1/2 c mushrooms chopped
- 2 tbsp scallion + more to garnish
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot chili oil + 1/2 tsp chilies optional
- 1/2 c hot water
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp vegetable base
- 1/4 c water
- Whisk together in a small bowl the scallion, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, chili oil and chilies, 1 tbsp canola oil, and 1/2 c hot water to set aside.
- In a wok over high heat add the remaining canola oil, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add the vegetable base and remaining vegetables. Sauté for another 3-4 minutes. Then add the shrimp.
- Add the 1/4 cup of water and noodles. Stir to coat noodles then the sauce. Toss well and heat another 2 minutes. Move the finished dish from the pan to a serving dish. Garnish with scallions.