Old Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Cookies — chewy buttery brown sugar oatmeal cookies packed full of sweet raisins and plenty of cinnamon.
Cookies are one of my favorite things to bake. They are easy to whip together and they bake in almost no time. Plus, you don't really have to wait for them to cool to devour them. An added bonus is that they are small so you feel less guilty more of them. This Oatmeal Raisin Cookie is just the best. It’s an adapted recipe from The Brown Betty Cookbook (affil link). I made a few minor adjustments to make them softer while still being nice and chewy.
Oatmeal raisin cookie ingredients
Dark brown sugar
Rolled oats vs quick oats
In most cases, it’s fine to interchange the oats in a recipe. I’m using rolled oats instead of quick-cooking oats because the rolled oats are tougher with more texture in the cookie. Quick oats are thinner and give less support for the ingredient ration in the recipe. I have tried this recipe with quick oats and they are much softer with less texture. They hold together but aren't as full and firm as an old-fashioned oatmeal cookie should be.
How to make old fashioned oatmeal cookies
These oatmeal raisin cookies could not be easier. I use the creaming method for the sugars and butter. Followed by the eggs and extract. I also mix in my raisins before adding the flour and oats because it allows them to be distributed throughout the batter more evenly. Sifting the flour isn't absolutely necessary but it does help to make sure the spices are mixed throughout the batter well.
I mix in the flour with the hand mixer then I use a rubber spatula to fold in the oats so that I'm not over mixing the dough.
Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes. You will love this recipe!
More old fashioned recipes to try
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Old Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 1 ½ c all-purpose flour (180 grams)
- 2 ⅓ c rolled oats
- 1 c dark brown sugar
- ⅔ c white sugar
- 1 c raisins
- 1 c unsalted butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- I’m a larger bowl beat softened butter until fluffy and pale. Beat in eggs and vanilla followed by both sugars. Mix until creamy. Add the raisins and stir well.
- Pour in the flour and beat on medium speed until fully incorporated. Fold in the oatmeal with a rubber spatula.
- Scoop 12 cookies onto a cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 11-13 minutes. Repeat with the reamaining dough.