These soft and chewy old fashioned oatmeal raisin cookies will take you right back to grandma's kitchen table.
Cookies are one of my favorite things to bake. They are easy to whip together and they bake in almost no time. Plus, you don't really have to wait for them to cool to devour them. An added bonus is that they are small so you feel less guilty more of them. So, yeah, cookies rock.
This recipe is a new one in our family. Erik asked for soft chewy oatmeal raisin cookies for his birthday dessert and being the loving wife that I am, of course, I obliged. And the recipe of choice was from my trusted most baking favorite cookbook, The Brown Betty Cookbook. I made a few minor adjustments to make them softer while still being nice and chewy.
These cookies literally could not be easier. I use the creaming method for sugar and butter. Followed by the eggs and extract. I also mix in my raisins before adding the flour and oats because it allows them to be distributed throughout the batter more evenly.
Sifting the flour isn't absolutely necessary but it does help to make sure the spices are mixed throughout the batter well. I mix in the flour with the hand mixer then I use a spatula to fold in the oats so that I'm not over mixing the dough.
Bake at 350 and fall in love with these bad boys. You will love this recipe!
Try more Yummy treats!
Chewy Old Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 2 1/3 c rolled oats
- 1 c dark brown sugar
- 2/3 c white sugar
- 1 c raisins
- 1 c butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- I’m a larger bowl beat softened butter until fluffy and pale. Beat in eggs and vanilla followed by both sugars. Mix until creamy. Add the raisins and stir well.
- Pour in the flour and beat on medium speed until full incorporated. Fold in the oatmeal with a rubber spatula.
- Scoop 12 cookies onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 11-13 minutes.