This Stir-Fried Steamed Garlic Green Beans recipe is a simple side dish that pairs well with many Asian-inspired main dishes. It’s quick and easy making it perfect for weeknight meals.
What you will need to make Stir-Fried Steamed Garlic Green Beans
ScallionDried red chili, optional
Wok with a lid or steamer pot and skillet
How to steam green beans and garlic in a wok
I used a wok to steam and stir fry my green beans. This can be done easily with a steaming pot then using a skillet to stir fry the veggies. But if you have a wok, using it to steam is very easy and makes it a one-pot recipe.
To steam, add 2 cups is water plus 1 tablespoon of salt to the wok and bring it to boil. Place a steaming basket over the water and layer the green beans with the garlic in between. Cover with a large pot top and cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove the basket from the wok once the desired finesse is reached.
How to stir-fry Steamed Garlic Green Beans
After draining and drying the wok, heat the sesame oil over low heat. Next, add the garlic, white part of the scallions, and chili pepper is using it. Cook until the scallions are soft. Mash the garlic cloves slightly before removing the red chili.
Throw the green beans in the skillet and coat with the contents. Pour in the soy sauce and mirin. Toss around until the beans start to blister. Add the remaining green parts of the scallion then remove the pot from the heat. Season with salt to taste if needed.
Try more Asian-inspired side dishes
***This recipe was updated on 6/1/2020 for content and correction. It was first published on 11/30/2018.***
Stir-Fried Steamed Garlic Green Beans
- 16 oz fresh green beans defrosted if using frozen
- ¼ c sliced scallion white part
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 ½ tsp soy sauce low sodium
- Salt to taste
- 1 dried red chili pepper optional
- 2-3 c water + 1 tbsp kosher salt
- Sesame seeds garnish
- Scallion garnish
- In a steamer pot or wok, add the 2 cups of water plus 1 tablespoon of salt and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Place a steamer basket over the water, add the green beans and garlic. Cover with lid and steam over medium heat for 10-12 minutes. Remove the basket and set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or pan over medium heat. Once it begins to smoke, which will be very quickly if using a wok, add the garlic, white part of the scallions, and chili pepper is using it. Smash the garlic pieces and removed the chili.
- Next, add the green beans and toss. Follow with the mirin and soy sauce and toss to coat. Allow the beans to blister slightly before turning off the heat and adding the remaining scallion. Season with salt as needed.