This Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese is made with melty cheeses, butter, and heavy cream making the best comfort food side dish.
This Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese recipe is 100% homemade nostalgia-inducing. It's a copycat version of the blue box mac and cheese we all loved as kids. I'm sharing my secert to truly creamy stovetop mac and cheese using a handful of ingredients and no roux involved!
Ingredients needed to make creamy macaroni and cheese
Sharp cheddar grated
American cheese chopped
The secret to truly creamy macaroni and cheese is not from flour, or any fancy speicalty cheese or ingredient. Plain old American cheese is the secret. American cheese has a melting quality that other cheeses just don’t have. So, if you creamy macaroni and cheese is want you want, adding a little American cheese is a must.
How to Make Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
Making macaroni and cheese couldn’t be easier. Cook the elbow noodles according to the package direction then drain and return it to the pot. Add the butter and spices and stir to coat.
Turn the flame on to low and add the milk and cheese then stir well. Once the cheese starts to melt pour in the cream.
Continue to stir making sure the noodles are covered well. When the cheese is fully melted, turn off the heat and serve immediately.
Recipes to Serve with Mac & Cheese
More kid-friendly side dish recipe to enjoy
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
*This recipe was updated on 9/24/2020 for improved content. It was first published on 10/14/2019.*
Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 oz elbow noodles dry uncooked
- 1 ½ c milk
- ¼ c heavy cream
- 4 tbsp butter
- 8 oz sharp cheddar grated
- 4 oz American cheese chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Blend the sugar, salt, pepper, and mustard powder in a small bowl for later. Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain, return to the pot and add the butter and spices.
- Turn the heat to low and pour in the milk and cheeses stirring constantly until it melts. Once the cheese starts to melt pour in the cream and whisk until smooth. Serve immediately.