Garlic Bacon Butternut Squash —butternut squash sautéed in bacon drippings with fresh garlic and red peppers then oven-roasted to tender perfection.
Butternut squash roasted in bacon drippings and garlic is about as rustic and cozy as any comfort food can be. It’s seasoned with onion, fresh red peppers, and dried thyme for a nice herby flavor. The flavors remind me of a delicious butternut squash soup. This dish is perfect for any holiday spread but easy enough for a weeknight side dish. It’s simplistic, easy to make, and full of flavor.
What you need to make Garlic Bacon Butternut Squash
Butternut squash- I’m using two 20 ounce packages of butternut squash which is about 2 1/2 pounds. This is equivalent to 2 large squashes seeds and peels removed. In total, you will need, 4 1/2-5cups of cut squash.
Thick cut bacon- I prefer thick cut over thins strips because it adds substance to the recipe. You may substitute thin slices for thick at the same weight of 2 ounces. Approximately 4-6 slices.
Dried thyme- I use dried as it’s just easier and always on hand. Fresh thyme would be a lovely addition if you have it.
13” cast-iron skillet
There are many types of winter squash but butternut squash is by far my favorite. I love that it can be eaten savory or sweet. It really takes in the garlic and bacon nicely in this recipe while still maintaining the subtle sweetness that I like.
How to prepare Garlic Bacon Butternut Squash
To start, I render the fat of 2-4 slices of thick-cut bacon on the stovetop.
Then, toss the squash, onion, red pepper, garlic, and spices in the rendered fat. I place the skillet in a 425 degree over for 25-30 minutes.
When the squash is fork-tender, I remove it from the oven and top it with pieces of the crispy bacon. Savory goodness.
More holiday side dish recipes
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
*This recipe was updated on 9/10/2020 for improved content. It was first published on 11/15/2017.*
Garlic Bacon Butternut Squash
- 2 1/2 lb butternut squash 1-2 in chunks
- 2 oz bacon
- 1/2 c red pepper finely diced
- 1/2 c yellow onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic sliced thin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 425. In a large cast-iron or oven-safe skillet cook the bacon strips on the stovetop until crisp. Drain the cooked bacon on a paper towel and save for later.
- Turn off the flame, then to the skillet with the bacon fat, toss the squash, onion, red pepper, garlic, and spices together. Place the skillet into the oven for 25-30 minutes; until the squash is fork-tender. Top the squash with the bacon chopped into pieces.