A satisfying vegetarian version of Southern Green Beans and Potatoes. It is the perfect side dish for a country fish-fry or a traditional holiday supper.
Southern-style vegetables are pretty much known for their meat-heavy flavoring. We tend to use smoked meats like table salt. Smoked meats impart an intense flavor quality that sets southern cuisine apart from all others. This Southern Green Bean and Potatoes recipe capture the essence of traditional southern braised vegetables without the addition of direct meat flavoring.
What you need to make Southern Green Bean and Potatoes
Green beans- Use the microwave steam-in-the-bag variety to make it easier. Otherwise, you can steam them on the stovetop for 6-7 minutes until tender.
Red potatoes- The potatoes are parboiled in water for an additional 8-10 minutes to soften.
Bouillon cubes, chicken or vegetable
Salt and pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes, optional
12” skillet or larger
I’m using chicken broth seasoning with fresh garlic and sautéed onions as the braising liquid. An extra bouillon cube concentrates the flavors that penetrate the green beans and potatoes. You can use prepared chicken or vegetable stock equivalent to the water in the recipe but the flavor will not be as strong.
How to make Southern Green Bean and Potatoes
I’m using frozen green beans. Steam the green beans until tender on the stovetop or in the microwave according to package directions. Drain them and set aside.
Parboil the potatoes for 8-10 minutes over medium heat to soften. Drain and set aside in a bowl.
In the same skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic and sauté until softened.
Add the beans and potatoes. Season with the crushed bouillon cubes and black pepper and toss to coat well then add the water. Cover the skillet and drop the heat to simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt to taste if needed. Serve with red pepper flakes if desired.
You may certainly use fresh green beans. Either way, the beans are steamed in advance to help them absorb the braising liquid more quickly.
More southern recipes
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Southern Green Beans and Potatoes
- 1 lb green beans steam in the bag
- 3/4 lb red potatoes cut into 2 in chunks, boiled 8-10 min
- 1 3/4 c water
- 1 c yellow onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 crushed bouillon cubes chicken or vegetable
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Red pepper flakes optional to serve
- Steam the green beans according to package directions; drain and set aside. Add the potatoes to the skillet and cover with 3-4 cups of water. Parboil the potatoes for 8-10 minutes over medium heat to soften; drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic and sauté until softened. Add the beans and potatoes. Season with the crushed bouillon cubes and black pepper and toss to coat well then add the water. Cover the skillet and drop the heat to simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt to taste if needed. Serve with red pepper flakes.