This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Quick Chicken Gyros — chicken breast marinated in Mediterranean spices, creamy tzatziki, and crumbled feta wrapped in warm pita bread.
Chicken Gyros are one of my go-to quick and easy meals. Prep and cook time is minimal making it perfect for weeknights. The ingredients can be prepared ahead of time and stored for future meals. And best of all, these gyros are nutrient rich with tons of veggies, lean protein, and healthy fats.
Homemade tzatziki sauce
Tzatziki sauce is a creamy Mediterranean spread make of Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, garlic, lemon, olive oil, and spices like dried dill. It adds a contrasting creaminess to the chicken and vegetables in gyros.
To make tzatziki, add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
How to make chicken gyros
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Greek seasoning, and kosher salt then add the chicken tenderloins.
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat until smoky. Pan sear the chicken for 3 minutes on both sides until done. Set the chicken aside.
How to build a chicken gyro
To build a gyro, start by warming the pitas as you would a flour tortilla. I pop them into the microwave for about 30 seconds.
Spread a generous amount of tzatziki on the pita followed by shredded lettuce, a chicken tender, feta, and any other garnish that you prefer.
Chicken gyros are best served with warm pita bread and an array of fresh vegetables (see the ingredient list). I served these gyros with delicious homemade salsa made of the same ingredients used as garnishes. You might also like to try them with a side of pasta salad.
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Quick Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 1/4 lb chicken tenderloins 6-8 pieces
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 tsp greek seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6 pita bread rounds
- 1 1/2 c greek yogurt
- 1 small cucumber peeled and seeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- feta cheese crumbles
- shredded lettuce
- plum tomatoes
- sliced red onion
- fresh parsley
- Season the chicken in a bowl with the olive oil, greek seasoning, and kosher salt. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium flame and sear the chicken for 3 minutes on each side. Temperature should read 165° when done.
- Peel, seed, and grate the cucumber with a cheese grater. Use a mesh cloth or strainer to press as liquid from the cucumber shreds as possible. Add the shreds to a bowl with the yogurt, olive oil, garlic, dill, cumin, salt, and white pepper. Mix well and refrigerate until needed.
- To serve build individual chicken gyro according to taste using the pita, tzatziki, and garnishes. See post for suggestions.