Garlic Butter Crouton Chicken Marinara
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Garlic Butter Crouton Chicken Marinara — tender juicy chicken breast crusted in buttery seasoned croutons, light pan-fried, and topped with marinara and mozzarella.
This Garlic Butter Crouton Chicken Marinara is one of my favorite easy chicken breast recipes. It was originally shared in a free ebook that I released in 2019 and has since been upgraded with a delicious Homemade Marinara Sauce and gooey mozzarella cheese. I like to serve it with pasta and a side salad. It’s also amazing on a hoagie roll with Potato Wedges.
Crouton chicken marinara ingredients
Garlic butter Texas toast croutons– New York Bakery brand croutons are my recommended brand. Others that I’ve tried lacked potency of flavor when making this chicken. I also use them to coat tasty Air Fryer Mozzarella Bites for a flavorful outer crunch.
Homemade marinara sauce– I make a rich homemade marinara that goes perfectly with any Italian-inspired dish that you should try for this recipe. You can also use store-bought sauce.
The only ingredient keeping this garlic butter crouton chicken from qualifying as chicken parmesan is parmesan cheese. Feel free to add a half cup grated parmesan cheese to the crouton crumbs if desired.
Prepare the chicken breasts
For even cooking, the chicken breasts should be even in shaped and size. I like to pound them out between plastic wrap using a kitchen mallet.
Garlic butter crouton chicken marinara
Place the croutons in a food processor and run until you have fine crumbs. Toss the crouton crumbs a bowl with the flour, salt, garlic powder, and parsley. Beat the egg and water in a separate shallow dish.
Next, season the chicken with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Dredge breasts into the egg then crouton mixture. Allow the battered fillets to rest while the olive oil heats.
Using a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. Fry the breasts on both sides until golden brown; add more olive oil if needed. Temp should be 165 degrees when done.
Top the breasts with sauce and mozzarella. Pop the skillet into a preheated 400° oven for 4-6 minutes to melt the cheese.
Serve immediately with pasta or as desired.
More easy chicken recipes
Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
Instant Pot Chicken Cheesesteaks
Honey Ginger Sesame Chicken
Chicken Caesar Salad
Sweet Chili Chicken Stir Fry
Butter Garlic Crouton Chicken Marinara
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast 6 fillets
- 5 oz garlic butter Texas toast croutons
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder divided
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/2 recipe homemade marinara or store bought
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- In a food processor, grind the croutons until fine. Add to a bowl with the flour, half the salt, half the garlic powder, and parsley; mix well. Season the chicken with the remaining salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Dredge breasts into the egg then crouton mixture. Allow the battered fillets to rest while the oil heats.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Add the olive oil to a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Fry the chicken on both sides until golden brown; add more olive oil if needed. Temp should be 165 degrees when done. In the same skillet, top the chicken fillets evenly with marinara and mozzarella. Place the skillet in the oven for 4-6 minutes to heat the sauce and melt the cheese. Serve immediately.