This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Roasted Garlic Preserved Lemon Hummus —a delicious Mediterranean chickpea spread made with tahini, roasted garlic, and preserved lemons.
This Roasted Garlic Preserved Lemon Hummus is amazing. It’s creamy, savory, and citrusy all at the same time. The roasted garlic adds the right amount of mellow garlicky flavor that doesn’t overpower. But it’s the preserved lemons for me. The salty brininess of preserved lemons adds major flavor to the hummus and the juice of fresh lemon just brightens it up. So good.
What are preserved lemons?
Preserved lemons are lemons that are preserved in a liquid brine. So, basically pickled lemons. The lemonade are stored in a jar with salt for an extended period of time. They are used in a lot of North African, Indian, and Middle Eastern dishes and can be found in those respective retail markets. You can also purchase preserve lemons in Mediterranean grocery stores which is where I found mine.
How to use preserved lemons in recipes
The pulp and seed are generally discarded and the skin is used in recipes. To remove the pulp, run a spoon or knife between the pulp and skin. It’s fine if some pulp remains. The seeds must be discarded.
Preserved lemon hummus ingredients
Roasted garlic– I use about one head of roasted garlic. This is not interchangeable with fresh garlic! Check out my tutorial on Roasted Garlic for instruction.
Add the ingredients to a food processor or blender.
Pulse until smooth. Add more water for smoother texture.
Tips for making great hummus
- For ultra-smooth hummus use a Nutribullet blender. A good food processor will make a smooth hummus but for the creamiest, smoothest hummus, use a Nutribullet (affil link).
- Use good ingredients. Fresh ingredients go without saying but quality olive oil and tahini will make a quality hummus.
Serve this preserved lemon hummus with a fresh batch of Naan Flatbread, crudités, or as a spread in on a sandwich or wrap.
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Roasted Garlic Preserved Lemon Hummus
- 15 oz chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 10 roasted garlic cloves see notes
- 2 preserved lemons skin only
- 1 lemon juiced about 6 tbsp
- ⅓ c olive oil
- ¼ c tahini
- ¼ c water more or less depending on desired consistency
- ½ tsp kosher salt or to taste
- parsley and paprika to garnish
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth. You may choose to add more water for a creamier texture or less for a thicker dip.
- Top with a drizzle of olive oil and serve at room temp or cold with a fresh batch of naan!