Smoky chipotle chicken empanada with a little heat and a whole lot of flavor! Perfect for an entree or small plate appetizers.
My man loves meat pies. No matter what restaurant—appetizer or entree— if it’s on the menu he’s having it. Needless to say that I’ve tried my hand at making them at home with some successes. But these smoky chipotle chicken empanadas have been THE BEST so far.
It starts with minced chicken breast seasoned to perfection, simmered in chipotle adobo, with a little queso fresco tossed in before filling. I served them with sour cream to cool off the heat of the chipotle. Perfection!
This recipe takes only a few ingredients and minimal effort but you end up with a wonderful dish. I hope you enjoy!
Don’t forget to pin, yum, and rate this recipe!
- 10 Goya empanada discs defrosted
- 3/4 lb chicken breast minced
- 1/2 c white onion diced
- 4 tbsp chipotle adoba
- 1-2 whole chipotle pepper finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 c frying oil
- 1 c sour cream optional
- 1/2 c queso fresco optional
- Pound chicken breast flat with meat tenderizer and then cut into a fine dice
- Heat 1 tbsp canola oil in skillet and add chicken, diced onion, cumin, garlic salt, and black pepper; cook thoroughly and add chipotle, adobo, and brown sugar
- Crumble in queso fresco if using it, and set aside.
- Begin heating frying oil in cast iron skillet to 375 degrees
- Fill center of each empanada disc according to package
- Carefully add 3-4 empanadas to the oil and fry until golden brown turning as needed
- Fry in batches and them serve hot with sour cream on the side!