Baked Turkey Wings — tender turkey wings with crispy sticky skin, seasoned to perfection and oven-baked.
This recipe always takes me back to Sunday dinners at my auntie’s. She always had a pot of something down-home good on Sunday’s. Baked Turkey Wings smothered in gravy was one of my favorite pots. I’m keeping the recipe lighter these days with the gravy on the side but rest assured that these turkey wings are still amazing. The seasoning blend and slow roast ensures flavorful tender turkey.
Lighter holiday menu
Turkey wings definitely have more fat than turkey breast. But you can lighten the overall menu with healthier side dishes. Serve these turkey wings with Smoked Turkey Collard Greens and Maple Ginger Sweet Potatoes for a lighter holiday menu.
Ingredients and equipment
Turkey wing portions- I only use the flat portions since it’s part that we like. You can certainly use the drum or a mix of the two. Should you choose the drum, you will need to add more cooking time. Be sure to use a food thermometer to check for doneness at 165°.
Mirepoix- Mirepoix is a French flavoring base made of chopped carrot, onion, and celery. It will add flavor to the basting broth.
Roasted garlic- Fresh works too.
Fresh herbs- This is totally optional as most of these herbs are in the spice mix in dry form. I used a bouquet of poultry herbs that I found at the grocery store. It had a sprig each of rosemary, thyme, and sage leaves.
Chicken stock or water
How to make baked turkey wings
In a large baking dish, mix and spread the chopped celery, onion, carrot, garlic cloves, and dried herbs if using. Place the turkey wings over the vegetables; the wings should be slightly elevated.
Add the dry spices to a grinder or mortar and pestle. Pulse or pound until the salt and bouillon cube is powdered. Drizzle the wings with olive oil and season the wings with the spice mix.
Preheat the oven to 325°. Pour the stock into the bottom of the roasting pan being careful not to wet the wings. Cover the pan with foil. Bake for one hour then bast the wings with the cooking liquid. Recover the pan for another hour then remove the foil. Raise the oven temp to 425° and bake for another 25 minutes to brown and crisp the wings.
More holiday recipes
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Baked Turkey Wings
- 5 lb turkey wing portions flat with tip
- 2 c water or chicken stock
- 1 celery rib chopped
- ½ small onion diced finely
- 1 carrot peeled and finely diced
- 6 roasted garlic cloves
- 1 bouquet of poultry herbs optional
- ¼ c olive oil
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes crushed
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp celery salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Add the dry spices to a grinder or mortar and pestle. Pulse until the salt is powdered.
- In a large baking dish, mix and spread the chopped celery, onion, carrot, garlic cloves, and dried herbs if using. Place the wings over the vegetables; the wings should be slightly elevated. Drizzle with olive oil and season the wings with the spice mix.
- Pour in the stock and cover the pan with foil. Bake for one hour then bast the wings with the cooking liquid. Recover the pan for another hour then remove the foil. Raise the oven temp to 425° and bake for another 25 minutes to brown and crisp the wings.