This delicious cinnamon roll baked oatmeal is like eating a warm soft cream cheese glazed cookie for breakfast.
Baked oatmeal is the go-to breakfast food of winter at my house. It’s especially appreciated by anti-oatmeal 15 year old. I love that the base recipe for baked oatmeal easily adaptable to changes making it appealing to the whole family. This cinnamon roll version is the #1 choice around here. Probably because the cinnamon swirl and cream cheese glaze make it feel like eating dessert for breakfast. You should also check out my Peach-Berry Baked Oatmeal as well.
What is baked oatmeal?
Baked oatmeal is exactly as it says. It’s a base recipe of 3 cups oats, 1 1/2-3/4 cups liquid, 2 eggs, sweetener, leavening, and desired add-ins. The leavening can vary from recipe to recipe but I tend to stick with 1 teaspoon of baking powder for every cup of oats. I learned that measurement from a cookbook that I cannot recall but you may use as little as 1 teaspoon for the entire recipe. Additional salt and spices are left to your judgment and taste.
What types of oats can I use to make baked oatmeal?
I have always used quick cook oats in my baked oatmeal. You can definitely use old fashioned rolled oats if you choose. I don’t recommend using steel cut oats for this as the grains are too tough to soften quickly which is what you need to happen for this recipe to work. Instant oatmeal is also not recommended for this or any other baked product.
Benefits of making baked oatmeal:
- What makes this recipe so great is that it’s a meal prep wonder. Make it for the week. Double the whole recipe for the family for the week.
- It’s easily adaptable to changes so you can make it as healthy or as indulging as you desire. Use either natural sweeteners or dark brown sugar. This recipe is accepting of it all.
How to make cinnamon roll baked oatmeal:
To make the oatmeal is as simple as blending the dry ingredients together first then adding and whisking the wet ingredients. Pour the batter into a baking dish.
Next, mix together the cinnamon, sugar, and melted butter in a small bowl. Pour it into a squeeze bottle with a spout or a sandwich bag. Snip a tiny hole in the corner of the bag and literally swirl the mixture over the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Beat the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, honey, and milk until smooth. Serve with a drizzle of the cream cheese glaze. (The glaze is optional but so so good. Indulge at least once!)
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RECIPE. SUGGESTIONS AND HONEST OPINIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. LEAVE A REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS, RATE THE RECIPE, AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal
- 3 c quick oats
- 1 3/4 c milk
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c butter melted
- 2 egg
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 c powders sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp milk
- Mix together the cinnamon, sugar, and melted butter in a small bowl. Pour it into a squeeze bottle with a spout or a sandwich bag. When ready to use, snip and tiny hole in the corner of the bag and literally swirl the mixture over the top.
- Beat the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, honey, and milk until smooth. Store in the fridge until ready for use.
- Blend the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Next, add in and whisk the wet ingredients. Pour the batter into a baking dish and swirl the top with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Serve with a drizzle of the cream cheese glaze.