Instant Pot Louisiana Red Beans and Rice —smoky sausage with peppers and onion gives this dish amazing flavor.
Louisiana Red Beans and Rice is a timeless southern recipe enjoyed by countless people throughout the country. I make this version with canned beans because I am 100% team easy. Whether or not dry or canned beans make the best version has been debated but If you would prefer, you can make your beans from scratch.
What you need to make red beans and rice
Kidney beans- I’m using canned beans to make an easier recipe but preaparing dried kidney beans with make it more authentic.
Smoked meat- Smoked kielbasa is my favorite smoked sausage. Andouille is most likely used so you can switch it up to your liking.
Creole trinity- Onion, peppers, and celery make up the trinity in creole cuisine. I add a good amount of garlic to mine for a perfected flavor.
Creole spice- Creole spice can be homemade or store bought.
Stock- I used ham stock because it played well with the smokiness of the recipe but chicken or vegetable stock work well too.
Rice- Long grain white rice is typically served but you may use what you prefer.
Instant Pot or dutch oven with lid- Whichever method you choose this recipe cooks relatively, in no time.
How to make Louisiana red beans and rice
Note: Remove the casing from the sausage before slicing. This will help to breakdown some of the meat when you mash some of the beans at the end. It also helps to prevent chocking if you have smaller children.
Red beans and rice instant pot Option
On sauté mode, add the oil to brown the sausage on both sides. Next, add the onion, celery, peppers, and garlic. Sauté stirring consistently until translucent.
Add the creole seasoning followed by the beans and stock. Place the lid securely and lock the pressure valve. Set the mode to high pressure for 22 minutes. I always use quick pressure release by carefully turning the valve in the opposite direction using a long-handled spoon.
Red beans and rice Stovetop Option
Using a large dutch oven, follow all the the previous steps in order to adding the stock and beans. Give a good stir then allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes over low heat.
How to serve Louisiana red beans and rice
At the end of cooking, use a masher you mash half of the beans and sausage to thicken as gravy. Serve in a bowl with a serving of rice and sliced scallions with hot sauce on the side.
More delicious weeknight recipes!
Instant Pot Louisiana Red Beans and Rice with Stovetop Option
- 13 oz smoked sausage sliced
- 3 15 oz cans red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 c yellow onion diced
- 1 c green pepper diced
- ½ c celery diced about 2 large ribs
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp creole seasoning
- 3 c ham stock chicken works too
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 c long-grain rice cooked
- bunch scallions sliced to serve
- Add the oil to the pot over medium heat. Brown the sausage on both sides then add the onion, celery, peppers, and garlic. Sauté until translucent.
- Add the creole seasoning followed by the beans and stock. Give a good stir then allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes over low heat.
- If using the pressure cooker follow the first steps on sauté mode. After adding the seasoning, beans, and stock, place the lid securely. Set the mode to high pressure for 22 minutes.
- At the end of cooking, use a masher you mash half of the beans and sausage to thicken as gravy. Serve with rice and scallion.