Brown Butter Sweet Carrots — steamed carrots sautéed in nutty brown butter with a sprinkle of brown sugar.
This Brown Butter Sweet Carrots recipe proves that frozen vegetables can taste just as good as fresh vegetables. If you are looking for a way to improve the taste of boring frozen veggies, you’ve come to the right place. I’m using frozen carrots to make a super tasty side dish. The carrots are defrosted and sautéed in a salty brown butter then glazed over with a touch of brown sugar.
Frozen vegetables recipes
I use frozen vegetables for many of the dishes that I share on this blog because of the convenience. They are also highly nutritious and cook up just as well as fresh veggies. Here are a few recipes using frozen vegetables:
- Bacon Shrimp Corn Chowder
- Southern Green Beans and Potatoes
- Sweet Chili Chicken Stir Fry
- Foil Packet Green Beans
Brown butter sweet carrots ingredients
Prepare the carrots
The frozen carrots that I used came in a steaming pouch that I popped into the microwave for 5 minutes to defrost and warm them. I then drained the extra water from them in a strainer before adding them to my pan. Alternatively, you can run the frozen carrots under cool water until defrosted. Pat them dry before cooking them. There is no need to cook the carrots as frozen vegetables are already partially cooked before freezing.
In a skillet, heat the butter over lowish-medium heat until the butter turns golden brown.
Immediately add the carrot , a pinch of kosher salt and the brown sugar.
Toss to coat and allow the carrots to cook for 5 minutes or so for the sugar to melt and coats the carrots.
Brown Butter Sweet Carrots
- 12 oz sliced carrots defrosted according to package
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt or less to taste
- Defrost the carrots according to the package directions. In a skillet, heat the butter over lowish-medium heat until the butter turns golden brown*.
- Immediately add the carrot , a pinch of kosher salt and the brown sugar.
- Toss to coat and allow the carrots to cook for 5 minutes or so for the sugar to melt and coats the carrots.